It's been a while since I've touched base with you in regards to my fundraising for the Komen 3-Day for the Cure. Unless you were hiding out in a cave in Uzbekistan the first part of this year, you probably know we went through some "drama."
That experience was a lot like being run down this year while skiing in Utah. After sliding 50 yards head-first down a run called "Tycoon," I needed a few minutes to reorient myself and make sure I still all my pieces and parts were in the right place.
The experience with Komen this Spring was much the same. After the smoke cleared, I needed a bit of time to sort things out. But you know what? I STILL believe in Komen, and I STILL believe they are saving lives, and I STILL believe I am where God wants me to be.
2012 marks my 7th year to walk in the 3-Day for the Cure. When I started this journey, I never thought I'd still be doing this. But this year also marks five years without my Mom. Knowing that, I can't walk away. The 3-Day offers me an opportunity to honor my Mom -- an opportunity to celebrate her life and love and everything that went along with it. An opportunity I just don't get anywhere else.
How can I pass that up?
But it's not just about my Mom. It's about my friend Anna who was diagnosed this Spring. And my friend Brenda. And Cheri. And so many more. It's about Dr. Chang and the amazing research she's doing right here in Houston. And the friends, not even diagnosed yet, who will benefit from that research.
Yes, I'm walking -- November 5-7. And yes, I'm planning to walk all 60 miles, just like last year. And yes, I'm asking you for help. I know this Spring Komen for the Cure acted a bit like the Crazy Aunt who says stuff at Christmas that just doesn't make sense -- and frustrates you a bit even though you love her dearly. I know some of you may not be ready to continue funding Komen's research. Believe me, I respect and honor that.
But just hang in there with me a moment....
Walking in the 3-Day isn't just about Komen to me. It's so much bigger -- and I have Team Tiara to thank for that. To date, Team Tiara has raised over $600,000 since 2006. Yes, much of that has funded research through Komen for the Cure. But that's not all we do. We do so, so much more.
We've utilized those funds to offer direct support, including financial support, to more than 30 breast cancer survivors. In March 2011 we dedicated Hope Field -- the first girls' softball field in the country that's dedicated to breast cancer awareness. We've sponsored mammograms for women who do not have health insurance. We couldn't have done that without you -- or our non-profit 501 (c) (3) status that allows us to offer direct support where needed -- independently of Komen for the Cure.
Our goal for 2012 is to raise $100,000 to directly fund research into Metastatic Breast Cancer Research. It's a big goal to fill a huge need -- an area of under-funded research where we NEED to make a lasting impact!
Please look at this list of ways you can help save lives and find at least one way to help support Team Tiara and our battle against breast cancer.
1. This will be my 7th year to walk in the Komen 3-Day for the Cure. Once again, I'll need to raise a minimum of $2300 to walk. If you'd like to support me, or join Team Tiara, you can donate at this link. http://the3day.org/goto/dlynbiggs
2. If you'd like to support Team Tiara's Metastatic Breast Cancer Research Fund, direct support for survivors or mammograms for those who do not have health insurance, you can donate in one of two ways. You can go to www.teamtiara.net and use our PayPal Donate button. Or you can send checks to Team Tiara, P.O. Box 2433, Cypress, Texas 77410-2433. Remember, our goal is to raise $100,000 this year, above and beyond our 3-Day fundraising, to directly fund Mets research.
3. Our 3rd Annual "Tee'd Off at Breast Cancer" golf tournament will be held Monday, October 1 at Falcon Point Golf Club in Katy, Texas. We'll have dinner, prizes, a silent auction and a GREAT time! You don't want to miss this!!
4. We are currently acquiring auction items for the Golf Tournament. Tickets to events, sports memorabilia, gift baskets, handmade items, gift certificates -- anything works! If you'd like to donate an item, please let us know!
5. As always, we'd LOVE for you to walk with Team Tiara! This year our goal is to have 100 walkers on our team. Wouldn't that be cool? As a walker, you'll be introduced to many "firsts." You'll sleep in a pink tent, take showers in a converted semi trailer, dine on peanut butter and jelly graham cracker sandwiches and become an expert on blister care. You'll laugh at jokes, cry over people's stories and share your own. And in the process you'll help raise millions of dollars for breast cancer research and education. To join our team, go to www.the3day.org/goto/teamtiara2012 and click on "Join Team."
Thank you for supporting Team Tiara, and thank you for helping me honor my Mom. As I close, I'd be remiss if I didn't remind you to "check your chi-chi's" and make sure the women in your life get regular mammograms! Breast cancer knows no age or gender boundaries. You are your best defense!
I'll plan to touch base with you a couple of times before November -- nothing overwhelming, I promise! But I do want to share a bit about what an actual day on the 3-Day is like. (Hint: A Komen mile isn't really a mile.)
Stay Tuned for "The Rest of the Story!"
p.s. The 3-Day is running a crazy challenge. If I get FIVE online donations in the next FIVE days, they'll add my name to the "Speedy Fundraising Hall of Fame" and I'll get some 3-Day Bling. Can you help?
All these great photos and stories and all that jazz are under copyright. Do not use these photos, anecdotes, stories and other assorted "stuff" without permission of yours truly. I mean it. Don't make me give you the mean mommy look. It gives me wrinkles.
You can easily use this PayPal link to Donate to Team Tiara.
Thank you for helping us Save the Boobies!!!
I'm the wife of a really great guy and stay-at-home mom to two beautiful girls. I'm a princess because I'm a daughter of The King. These days, much of my time is spent shuffling kids from point A to point B, training/fundraising for the Breast Cancer 3-Day (60 miles in 3 Days!), and juggling the Family Circus that is my life. I'm a transplanted farm girl trying to blend what I know with life in the big city. I'm addicted to Mamma Mia -- the best musical I've ever seen. I love to wear jackets. I miss my Mom. A lot. I love Karen Kingsbury's books -- anxiously awaiting the publication of each. My IPod is my most-used accessory. I love to paint -- not art, but rooms! When the going gets tough, I start baking.