Today is the day we ask people from around the globe to make a promise to take action against breast cancer — all through social media. This global effort starts with all of us, posting to our Facebook and Twitter profiles, and then asking your friends and family to do the same - a viral day, if you will.
How does it work? Starting today, September 30, at midnight (EDT) until midnight October 1, we are kicking off Breast Cancer Awareness Month by asking YOU to visit www.69-seconds.org. On the website, take action and update your Facebook/Twitter statuses or blog using the hashtag #fightbreastcancer.
What is a “hashtag”? Hashtags allow you to quickly identify special topics, and help spread information while organizing and making it searchable within social media.
Why 69 seconds? Because that’s how often a woman dies of breast cancer somewhere in the world. A statistic we’re trying to change.
What’s the goal? We want to mobilize millions to take 69 seconds to #fightbreastcancer AND break the Guinness World Record for Most Widespread Social Network Message in 24 Hours.
How can you join the fight?
1. Visit www.69-seconds.org and take action!
2. Change your Facebook and/or Twitter status to one of the following:
· Every 69 seconds, a woman dies of breast cancer somewhere in the world. #fightbreastcancer at http://69-seconds.org.
· Today is not about raising funds. It’s about raising virtual voices around the world to take action in 69 seconds or less. Visit http://69-seconds.org, post #fightbreastcancer to Facebook and Twitter or blog about it before midnight and help turn the virtual world pink. How do you promise to #fightbreastcancer?
3. Use #fightbreastcancer in your statuses pertaining to breast cancer, Komen or Breast Cancer Awareness Month several times during the day!
4. And lastly, make your Facebook posts public for the day. Facebook recently overhauled their privacy controls for personal profiles which could potentially compromise our Guinness World Record. In order to be considered eligible for our attempt, your status must be open to the public. Here are instructions to help you make your status public:
o In Facebook, click on “Account” in the top right corner
o Scroll and select “Privacy Settings” in the drop down menu
o Under “Sharing on Facebook,” select “Customize Settings”
o Under “Things I Share,” select the drop down menu next to “Posts by me”
o Select “Everyone”
o Your status updates are now public
· After midnight (EDT) October 1st, please be sure to change your privacy settings back to where you had them as we don’t want to compromise your privacy.
It costs nothing and takes just a minute of your time – or maybe 69 seconds. So blog about it, post it, tweet it, retweet it, use it in all your statuses and urge everyone you know to do the same.
May blessings shower down on you today as we turn the Internet Pink for a CURE!!
Big Bad Math Quiz: Enter Now! by PW Fun & Learning
27 minutes ago