Thursday, September 18, 2008

After the Storm

Finally! We finally have email, phone, TV, etc!! Whoo-Hoo! Here are the much-promised pix. Not nearly the harrowing material you'll see from Galveston or that area, but it's what we saw on our side. If anything, it should make all ya'll feel better about the Biggs Bunch "hunkering down" when storms come our way!

First, a little video. Not the best since I did it on my camera rather than the camcorder, but impressive nonetheless. This was Saturday morning about 6:00 (I think) -- the power was already out.

This is the tree that used to be in our front yard. It took all night for it to fall over like this. I think this was about 7:00 Saturday morning.

About the same time, Biggs (in his quest for the Darwin award) decided to check out the ditch by our house. Thankfully, he isn't Darwin material. There's some really cool explanation to why he was out there, but you'd have to ask him.

We ventured out shortly after things settled down on Saturday. It was still raining, so some of these were taken with the windows up.

Here's a tree on a house. Not a lot of structural damage, it doesn't look like.

New shopping center at front of Fairfield.
This trampoline decided the yard was way too confining.... So it headed for the street.

Siding damage in our section of the neighborhood.

BIG siding damage over by the school.
BIGGER siding damage closer to Suzi's house.

And this trampoline.... We have no idea where it came from. No fence damage around there. It just went up and over!

Biggs Bunyan dismantling our fallen pine tree.

This was over closer to Biggs' office. From about 1960 on into town, they got hit really hard. It's bizarre how it all went down. Ikea is so big it's on two different grids -- one has power and one doesn't.
This was taken Saturday afternoon.

God blessed us with a beautiful sunset Saturday night. The "After" Picture.

Okay. So this is the funniest part of the whole thing. When the power went out Saturday morning -- about 5:30 or 6:00 for the final time, we had a huge flash from the ditch behind our house, then Boom! No electricity! We were pretty sure if they could get that one tree taken care of we'd have power.

Saturday night, the electric company powered things up. This is pretty goofy video -- you can't really see anything, but it'll give you an idea of how things went down.

After the fire truck left, things really got interesting. The neighborhood rednecks would come out, try to remedy the situation, then go back in and drink a beer or whatever. About 20 minutes later, here would come another gang with a big truck to try to work on it. They finally gave up about midnight.

So Sunday afternoon, the electric company tried to fire up the lines again.

It only took about 20 minutes for them to clear the trees once they got there. Personally, I think that while I was on the phone with the electric company, one of my neighbors must have been on there saying, "Dude, if you don't fix this, we will. We've got a plan. We've got beer. And we've got a big truck."

If you were never lucky enough to go to Electric Camp with 4-H, you really should check out this next picture. This is what an electric line will do the top of a tree. Imagine what it would do to you if you hit it with a metal pole, kite, equipment, etc. Always look up!

So that's it for now! Oh, I have a new cell phone ###... Our home phones are working now, and I'll get that new cell out to ya'll ASAP, but I'm not about to publish it on my blog!

Big Hugs!

- d.

No comments: